Thursday, March 3, 2011

Studio Lighting: Metal

         This week, I was photographing metal in the studio for my Advanced Techniques class.

In recent years, the popularity of micro-brewed beer has exploded. As interest and demand increases, the number and variety of craft brewers has gone up from fewer than 50 breweries in the early 1980’s to nearly 1,500 today.


I tried to do something beyond shooting a simple metal object with this assignment. I had brought in some basic ideas, but shooting a cheese-grater with a pile of shredded cheese just seemed boring. I think this photo turned out interesting, but it doesn’t show a real good handling of the studio techniques for shooting metal. My goal for the photo was to have several bottle caps fully reflecting the light while the majority had no reflection except on their edges. In the end, there were just too many metal surfaces.
There were several limitations that I had to work with because of the subject that I chose. I had to work with a small light source in order to avoid unwanted reflections. As a result, the gold bottle caps on the bottom are only giving off a partial reflection. There were also so many reflected surfaces, every bottle cap had to be individually positioned. This proved nearly impossible in the set-up that I had. When one bottle cap was moved, it changed the position and angle of several other caps. If I had to do this set-up again, I would need something such as modeling clay in order to really hold the caps in place.
All in all, the assignment was fun to do. The final product turned out OK, but by no means great.

How the photo was lit:

No comments:

Post a Comment